Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Summer is for simplicity. And chocolate.

Summer is about celebrating simplicity, family, friends, the outdoors, floaty dresses and sunglasses, endless afternoons of loafing... Since I haven't had a free day in 6 weeks, my summer isn't exactly going swimmingly.

Still, I had a stolen Sunday afternoon to myself (translation: 2 hours) in which time I baked up one of my favorite quick chocolate desserts: flourless brownies. 

It's nothing super special as far as the more elaborate and extravagant desserts go. But for small summer gatherings or solitary Sundays, it suits me well.

And now the special part. 

I was out of ice cream and I knew my solitary moment of bliss deserved dairy. And so, I pulled out my latest favorite thing ever: Noosa Aussie style yoghurt.

{the question is, will this last me more than a week?}


Everyone compares tasty binge-worthy food to the street name for cocaine, "crack." After trying a few of these "crack" recipes and foods, I usually get annoyed. It's good but not so great I would binge or require it for a daily fix. So any recipe with "crack" in it's title is probably hyperbole.

But I have found my crack and it's not an exaggeration. It's name is Noosa Yoghurt. I eat it for breakfast and before bed. Some days I eat it at lunch and in the afternoon too. It's unlike any commercial or homemade yogurt I have ever consumed.

So back to the brownie with yogurt. I took a risk and experimented. The result? Each bite was was sublime, soft, melting, not too heavy - just like a summer evening. Cheesy summer simile aside, I honestly would choose this over ice cream on my brownie any day.




Flourless Brownies
2 ounces (1/2 stick) butter, melted and slightly cooled
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate,  ~60-62% cocoa (I often cheat and use Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate chips, 2 cups)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease 4 ramekins. Pour boiling water into a shallow baking dish.

Melt the chocolate and combine with the melted butter. Stir in the sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time.

Divide the liquid chocolate batter evenly between the ramekins. Place the ramekins in the baking dish with hot water. Place the whole thing on a cookie sheet for ease and slip into the oven. Bake for 35-45 min; don't over bake. A toothpick should still come out wet, but the brownies should be set.

Remove from oven and cool slightly, then remove the ramekins from the water. Serve while warm. I loved these with bourbon pecan praline ice cream. But my new favorite way to eat them is with that Aussie indulgence known as Noosa Yoghurt.

To serve as photographed, top each brownie with a small dollop of sweetened condensed milk, about one tablespoon or less, then smooth on a nice amount of Noosa Yoghurt. I used raspberry flavor.

Eat immediately while lounging in your most comfy summer clothes. Sharing is optional, although highly recommended since eating more than one by yourself may result in sugar coma. You have been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment